Our building science department answers clients’ questions regarding defects and failures in building design, construction and materials – and how they can be prevented or resolved.
The firm’s professionals engage multidisciplinary technical expertise to solve building-related issues for a variety of clients, including legal and real estate professionals, construction and insurance companies, manufacturers, property owners, managers and others. These issues could include construction defects, contract disputes, building envelope, water intrusion and large loss insurance cases.
Forensic Building Science
Using advanced forensic science technologies, building science diagnoses building failures and damage due to materials, codes or contract issues resulting from design, construction defects or maintenance deficiencies, operations, weather/storm or other factors.
Building science professionals deliver the answers necessary for resolving claim disputes on building and property losses.
Our experts apply a thorough understanding of regional and local differences nationwide in design, codes, materials, building styles, and climate considerations.
We present our work utilizing written reports, technical analyses, drawings, models, renderings and walk-through presentations.
Standards, Codes and Contract Review
Our engineers have hands-on standards and codes expertise. It is our job to apply our thorough understanding of regional and local differences nationwide in design, building codes, materials, styles and climate considerations and help bring cases to their rightful resolution.
- Building code assessment
- Accessibility code interpretation
- Energy code interpretation
- Applicable standards
- Contract interpretation
- Construction delay verification
Design Review and Construction Assessment
- Construction defect defense
- Plan review
- Condition documentation
- Construction incident replication
Building Component Analysis
Using advanced forensic science technologies, building science diagnoses building failures and damage due to materials, codes or contract issues resulting from design, construction defects or maintenance deficiencies, operations, weather or other factors.
- HVAC and mechanical systems
- Plumbing and sprinkler systems
- Electrical systems
- Damage from adjacent structures
- Building condition
- Property condition
- Building envelope
- Exterior wall system
- Roofing and waterproofing
- Water intrusion
- Products and materials
- Structural collapse
Pedestrian Accidents/Slip and Fall
Pedestrian accidents occur in many different environments, including residential, commercial and industrial settings. Issues can arise regarding facility design, construction and their compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
Premise liability allocation may involve evaluation by Civil Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Architects and Landscape Architects.
Contributing factors can be:
- Issues involving illumination levels and hazard perception both inside and outside buildings.
- Slip and fall cases, involving determination of friction coefficients and slip resistance measurements for a wide range of walking surfaces.
- Slip and fall accidents involving determination of the slip resistance of bathtubs and showers, evaluation of grab rails, and shower seats.
- Drainage analyses in slip and fall cases involving ice and snow accumulations.
- Vehicle/pedestrian conflicts, in both retail and commercial/industrial settings.
- Compliance with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and building code egress requirements.
- Tip-over accidents (display cases, vending machines, furniture)
- Falls over guardrails or from windows.
- Laceration injuries from impact with glass in doors or windows or glass furnishings.
- Fall or pinch injuries associated with door swing path, automatic door closers, or automatic door operators.
Building science offers experts to assist you in all aspects of slip-and-fall investigations, conformity and industry standards and building site safety reviews.